Blog Archive

Friday, November 3, 2023

The FIRST Gratitude Bell Delivered to a Cancer Treatment Center

Praising God for my own infusion center in Columbus, OH at the Stephanie Spielman Comprehensive Breast Cancer Center which is part of The James where I was given permission to share my Gratitude Bell! Morgan, the Infusion Center manager was happy to receive it and soon (hopefully next week) it will be hung and my poem & QR code will be framed next to it for other patients to ring in a song of gratitude of their own!!




It’s my sincerest desire that this will begin a movement that will spread and every cancer treatment center will get their own Gratitude Bell! It can be ordered here! I hope they inform their terminal patients about it! I hope that the Gratitude Bell chimes so much in the centers that it never stops ringing! I hope Brandon Lake’s song, Gratitude, will be played in everyone’s ear so their hearts can be filled with such a beautiful melody that causes even atheists to worship Yahweh!!! That’s my hope. That’s my prayer. That’s my legacy. 

Yesterday my former sister in law shared that she bought one to put up in her hallway so people coming in her house can ring it and share about something they’re grateful for!! Brilliant idea, Debbie Kay! Once she gets it, I hope she will write a little story and I’ll share it on my new blog specifically for that called: gratitudebells.blogspot.com

Or I can be reached at triciasgratitudebell@gmail.com

Today, I also got to meet my new oncologist, Dr Kai Johnson.  He was very informative, knowledgeable and took all the time we needed to review my case, discuss my past/current treatments, consider my concerns and ask about my symptoms. He and I agreed to start Gabapentin for my neuropathy, hot flashes and help with sleep. He also suggested internal use of DHEA to help with health of my skin. Menopause and lack of estrogen does a number on ladies as we age and since other alternative treatments haven’t helped and he doesn’t want to start with topical estrogen first, he suggested this. Unfortunately, I forgot to get his photo this time so maybe next time. The infusion part went well. And I’m grateful that the nurses are so kind at this center! I always am amazed at how emotionally difficult this job can be with treating so many folks with cancer. There was a very young woman in the room adjacent to mine who was nauseous and vomiting and had an ice cap on (probably in hopes that she won’t lose her hair?). She appeared very ill as did so many others. I’m reminded how grateful I am to be feeling so well!

 


I did ask Dr Johnson about my prognosis. Although my specific cancer type at stage 4 has a 3-5 year prognosis for life expectancy, he said it really depends on how well my body responds to the initial treatment and he is encouraged that mine has responded so well. He also explained that once the medications I’m currently on stop working that there are several others we can try; but the longer this one works at keeping the cancer at bay, the better. Again…I’m so grateful!

1 comment:

Patti DeMatteis said...

I am sooooo bummed that we did not get to hook up Friday but happy you had a good experience with your new doc and the best news! 🥰🥰🥰🥰