Blog Archive

Monday, January 9, 2017

Radiation Consultation Today...I'm on the home stretch!

I am continuing to see my lymphedema therapist 3 times weekly and noticing a marked improvement in the cording. So between my personal stretching, water aerobics, and physical therapy, we are hoping I will completely recover within a couple weeks!

Today I met my radiation oncologist, Dr. Jordan Khorofa. He is with UC Physicians at Precision Radiotherapy in West Chester. He is a soft spoken, gentle and knowledgeable doctor. My sister, Karen, worked with him a few years ago in Milwaukee, WI and knows him personally. She says he has great patient interaction and bedside manner, in that he answers any and every question I have and takes the time to really explain things, unlike some radiation oncologists.

I will need a total of 6 weeks of radiation, 5 days a week. In fact, he was able to get me in tomorrow for my 'mapping' and treatment planning. This means I will start radiation next week.

He did tell me to expect redness in my skin and informed me that I will get several samples of skin moisturizers from castor oil to aloe and everything in between. But he also said that the skin redness does not usually start for 2-3 weeks into treatment. However, fatigue is something I can expect as a common side effect also.

Other than my situation with cancer treatment, my heart is burdened for 2 of my friends who are in cancer treatment or recovering from it. Deb S. had a serious diagnosis of leukemia 2 years ago and was hospitalized for 8 months, had 2 strokes, and continues to have unknown physical symptoms. She landed in the ICU this week and doctors are trying to figure out what is causing her sodium to plummet, but it's serious. Please pray for her and her husband, Trace.
The second friend, is Karen, who I met in the chemo salon. She has her second surgery tomorrow and it will be a long procedure and even longer recovery. While we had the same cancer and treatment plan and even doctors, initially, she will have more radical surgery in the morning and this recovery is very painful and long. Please pray for her too. Here we are on Nov. 7th, 2016 celebrating our final chemotherapy session! Thank goodness those days are over! But for tomorrow, she would really appreciate any prayers! Thank you!

No comments: