Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

For Adult Audiences Only...contains photos of my skin

Finally, radiation has started to take its toll on my skin and my body this week . I started what is called Boost radiation where the focus is only on my breast area and the setup was a little different. They get closer over my body and have a contraption that attaches from the radiation machine which practically touches my skin compared to the prior 5 weeks.

The whole treatment takes a whole whopping 15 seconds and I'm done, but the dosage is stronger and more localized so I am noticing some more side effects. For instance, last night I slept for about 12 hours! Definitely radiation fatigue! Also my skin is much more red on the left breast and armpit and I just had my first 'break' in the tissue. As you can see, even the areas around my collarbone are beginning to show the burn from the radiation. And while this photo shows a coloration difference between left and right, it's even worse in real life! But, sorry, this is about as much as I would show on this site. Believe me, it's worse!
Actually, the break in my skin is because I removed  the 'sticker' they put on me for lining up the beam. They said I could remove all of them except the new ones they put on me yesterday which were only on the breast. When I peeled it off my skin on my sternum area, the skin was super red and today, it actually feels like  when a blister pops.

I was given a new cream from Dr. Kharofa in case the skin breaks opens, so I applied that today to help with healing. It's called Silvadene Cream 1%.
So, thankfully, I only have 3 more days of radiation and I hope it won't break down much more, but I am glad it has held off at least this long.


No comments: