Blog Archive

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Radiation Fatigue And Free Time Activities

Radiation is continuing to go swimmingly. I'm almost done with week 3 and still feeling great! My skin feels and looks normal. I am faithful to apply aloe or Ann Post's Whipped Neem Balm on it multiple times daily. I haven't used the castor oil as much. It's so sticky and really I feel like the others do the job just fine. Fatigue might be just starting a little as I felt like laying down a while last evening, but it was short lived because my mind was going a hundred miles per hour so I couldn't sleep. So from a cancer treatment perspective, it's nice to report that it's uneventful!

Since I'm feeling well, I have been able to keep busy with normal activities, for us, like having our annual Frozen Butt Hang last weekend! Great fun being with such awesome people and relaxing in our woods around a huge campfire and enjoying the gift of wonderful friends! We had 16 for the campfire and potluck dinner and 10 overnight campers!





Also, I am now volunteering a little of my time at my place of work. No, I am not able to do dental hygiene yet. In fact, that won't happen until after my shoulder surgery. But I'm helping our Dr. Henize with some marketing projects. It's quite fun and since I'm not getting a paycheck for it, I can come and go pretty liberally. That's nice for when I'm needing to have a day with a friend or two. In fact, this week Liz, Brooklyn and I had the 'joy' of being together to help Liz go through Jordan's final belongings like his clothes closet, his box of things with him when he died, and they cleaned out his locker at the firehouse. This was hard. This was emotional. This was necessary. I'm thankful to be able to be available for days like this. In in all, we still agree that God is good.

So after 276 days...cancer has been a good teacher. It has shown me the compassion, generosity, and love of so many people. It has given me the gift of new perspective on living and life (thank you Dr. Mary Neal). It has offered me lots of time with my amazing husband, for which I am most thankful. And it has taught me that even when I have lots of time on my hands...I still don't like to exercise! However, I did do something this past weekend that was quite fun. Aerial yoga...

No comments: