Blog Archive

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Goodbye January, Hello February

I want to start with my favorite topic!! My sweet granddaughter and beautiful daughter are loving every minute! I can’t wait to see them soon!! She’s getting bigger by the day and is so much more smiley!


 This week I have enjoyed several hikes in the snow as LillyMae and I prepare for yet another hike in Wisconsin come May, 2023! According to my mountain biking coach friend, Brenda, we should be hiking 1 to 2 miles per day and at least one big hike every week of 5 to 7 miles! I love the conditioning for this trip so that we can really hit it hard this spring  as we continue hiking with her on the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin. Oh! How much gratitude I have for my body’s ability to do this! Lord, I do not take it for granted! Thank You for the gift of life today!


John continues to work diligently on our WonderVan and I help as much as I can with some of the littler things. This week I sanded and painted the little arms that hold up our windows so they look nice with the rest of the van. I also did some research on window coverings for when we are stealth and need to be insulated and look off grid. To help me visualize the interior that he’s starting on, he built the cabinets out of cardboard so we could “see it” and make changes before he starts cutting final pieces  this week he’s working on in-floor heating!

As much as my breathing seemed to improve for a couple days and feel back to normal with only 1 to 3 incidences of shortness of breath, I am keeping track of the timing today, Thursday, and it is anywhere between five minutes and two hours between shortness of breath episodes. I have reported this to my oncologist, who is wanting me to keep her informed of any changes, but for now it should be fine to just monitor.

Here it is now Monday and the shortness of breath has been noticeable but not every 5 minutes apart anymore.  It’s more like every few hours. We still aren’t certain of why, but it isn’t stopping me from doing anything.  At the time of me writing this (11:00am), I have not had the shortness of breath even one time today!! Whoop whoop!

I’m so thankful I have my son, Jonathan, who lives 30 minutes away, so we can spend some quality mother/son time together. Whether it’s cooking or cleaning, hiking, or organizing, we have fun doing practically anything together! It is especially sweet to spend time with him now knowing that I will be moving into the Wondervan and traveling away into the world within the next few months. He also has his sights set on moving to Mexico temporarily so our visits in person will be significantly less which makes each time we’re together now that much sweeter. 



Saturday I got to meet with an old friend, Dr Eric Henize! He was my boss for 10 years and we had a habit of meeting monthly for a long time at Northstar Café but with holidays and other distractions, we hadn’t met for several months so needless to say it was lovely to see him again and get caught up on life and family! I’m really appreciative for so many people that have maintained friendships after many years. 


This week I have finished a book by Gary Thomas called Sacred Pathways, recommended to me by my sweet friend Brooklyn, who is getting her masters degree in counseling, and shared that it is a great read. I love how the book explores nine different ways we can relate to and interface with God based on our spiritual personalities. It also helped me to not sit in judgment of people that experience their relationship with God differently in expressing and connecting to Him in a more traditional, activist or ascetic approach. 

Saturday night John and I finally got to hang out with dear friends, Trace and Deb, for our “Christmas” visit. Dumb Covid then pneumonia messed up our plans in December. But are we ever eternally grateful they got through it. Both Deb and I are immune compromised so getting sick can become a little scary for either of us. Yet their faith is bigger than fear and we laughed until we cried! Don’t ask what’s happening here in this photo other than to say Deb was getting what she asked for by her hilarious and loving hubby!! A big fat 5 second smooch!!


As I look through my week’s photos I am humbled by the love so many show to me like the surprise call from my former sister in law, Debbie K!! It’s like God just pours out His love all over my life with oodles of people! Deb has always held a special place in my heart! 


Then on Sunday my 2nd cousin, Todd, and his wife, Pam, came for an overnight stay in their travels from Ohio back to Illinois. We commented on how grateful we are that our great grandparents who eventually had 15 kids, braved the travel at a young age, across the Atlantic on a ship from England to New York, with the first 5 boys, to move to America! Those 15 kids grew up and got married and had kids! Then they had kids of which we are in that generation! For many years they had family reunions and because of those precious and sacred memories on Uncle Lenny’s farm so many friendship with cousins developed! To this day I hear from several of them even though we are miles or years apart! Both God and blood keep our bonds tight! 



Today I had a routine echocardiogram at The James Cancer Center. I’m thankful to report that I’m pleased with the results!! I’ve been told that the drugs I’m given can cause heart damage. 



Yet another week has past and I’m happy to be able to do and see so much! I love that my faith is sweeter and stronger because of my diagnosis. I love how I see so much kindness, love and friendship grow especially due to my situation. I’m often shocked as people tell me that my blog inspires them. Honestly I don’t get it because I feel like I’m just living my life but if something I say or do can inspire another to encourage or point them to God then I’m the one who is truly blessed. I think of Angie at my church whom I hardly know yet on Sunday she was about in tears sharing the work God is doing in her life through my blog. Well, ALL praise to our Heavenly Father that can draw others to Him through my story. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look so forward to Tuesdays! You are a walking inspiration!

Anonymous said...

So happy for good scan💕💕love mom

Anonymous said...

AT, you never ceases so Amaze my, I’m so so very proud of you