Blog Archive

Monday, September 19, 2016

Day September 19, 2016 Bad News For My Feet; Good News For My Cancer Treatment

This morning I showed up at my oncologist's office, courtesy of Amanda Beyer, whom graciously drove me while Danny watched their baby! We were prepped for hours of sitting in the Chemo salon, but plans changed when the Nurse Practioner and then Dr. Cody took one look at my feet! I have grade 3  hand and foot syndrome that can happen with Taxol and if one more layer of tissue peels off , I'm at great risk for infection. Immediately, they decided that I was A. Not getting more chemo today and B. Changing drugs to Abraxane!

The great news with that is that it is supposed to be a better drug for treating breast cancer, yet it's not the first line of treatment because insurance companies won't pay for it unless a person has major issues with the Taxol. So, lucky for me, my feet continued to peel and now I will be getting the better drug! Thankfully, my feet don't hurt, but just are peeling like crazy and I'm a little tender-footed. Dr. Cody did say that the peeling may continue for a while as the Taxol gets out of my system, so I need to keep them lubed with moisturizer without fragrances. Hopefully, my Whipped Neem Balm can be made sans lavender oil. Thanks to Ann Post with www.annmadesoap.com, I'm getting mine sent to me as a gift for free! This has kept the skin soft and comfy.

That's the way God answered my hope of getting the better drug! I'm good with it!  So now, on to Columbus, OH to visit with my daughter.

No comments: