Blog Archive

Monday, September 5, 2016

Labor Day September 5, 2016 Thankful for So Much, Even Cancer

I have come to realize that this whole cancer debacle has changed my life for the better in many ways! I have a whole new appreciation and tenderness towards others with a disease. I appreciate the little things in life, the simple things and don't take them for granted.

Today John took me to one of my happy places, kayaking! We went to a relatively unknown, small lake near Germantown, OH called Rush Run. He paddled me in our tandem kayak, circled around trees that still stood in the flooded waters, played John Denver Pandora station vs singing (a good thing :), and we picnic-ed at the shoreline in the shade as we listened to crickets chirping and the blue sky illuminated with great sunshine! I am so blessed to be alive!

I love nature and am thankful for each day in it. Last night we took my daughter, Sarah, to Cox Arboretum and walked through edible gardens, watched turtles and koi in ponds, and strolled through a butterfly garden, then climbed a magnificent wooden tower that overlooks for 20 miles in every direction! The sun was setting as we strolled past the succulents and we chuckled as Sarah snapped dozens of photos to add to her 20,ooo pictures already stored on her phone!

Cancer has taught me to slow down, look at the beauty of plants, places, and people. It has taught me to appreciate right where I am. It has reminded me to choose wisely the things I do and the people I spend my time with, the activities I partake in, the attitude I chose to have, and mostly the use of my time. God only grants us so much time, then we are done here. Not a soul knows how long they will tarry on here, so I want to love God richly, love people more willingly, and love my life, however it feels, because...I have today.

No comments: