Blog Archive

Friday, April 15, 2022

Reopening My Journal After 5 Years

 April 13, 2022

This first post will probably be the longest. To start I must post a few of the dear ones who were able to visit me just since all this craziness started.



It’s been almost 6 years to the date since I started this blog that I faithfully kept on a daily basis for about a year until all my breast cancer treatments were completed and I successfully battled cancer and won with God - miracle after miracle! 

Today it seems this Journal is being reopened and now we can watch God at work once again in a way that came very unexpected. 

Three weeks ago I started experiencing lower back pain and a tightness in my chest when breathing.  I would have coughing fits that would trigger more unproductive coughing. It reminded me of a croup cough that kids get… barky and deep. I was short of breath and keenly aware that something was amiss. 

At first I thought it might be allergies or a chest cold but then after not getting any better after 2 weeks, I decided to see my PCP. Thankfully the muscle relaxer for my back helped however the inhaler for my restricted feeling in my lungs made no difference. Another week goes by and the soreness in my right rib cage was often quite achy and breathing was shallow and restricted. The cough and shortness of breath was unchanged. Back to Dr Fisco this past Tuesday to try a chest X-ray and Z-pack. Perhaps pneumonia?

I was informed by my oncologist’s nurse that the Tamoxifen I take may cause pulmonary embolisms so I immediately contact Dr Manders, my surgical oncologist and ask her what to do. I explain it all and Dr Manders and she said it doesn’t really sound like a PE, because my pulse and O2 saturation is normal among other things. So I don’t run to get a CT. I just love Dr Manders. She’s one of God’s angels walking around on this earth! Here we were shortly after my surgery.


Then the next morning, this past Wednesday, I saw my first patient at work and noticed I stopped to catch my breath at least 3 times while cleaning his teeth. After completing his appointment, I took a pulse-ox and my pulse was 114!! I wasn’t doing anything that should have elevated it so I kinda freaked out knowing this was the sign Dr Manders said to be aware of. As I sat down with one of my sweet and loving co-workers, my pulse continued to rapidly increase until it was 140!!! I knew then that IT WAS TIME! I told Gaby to call the squad. Before I knew it, I was whisked off and the next 2 days have been a blur and frenzy of tests, tears and yes…a re-rediagnosis of cancer! 

The UC West Chester ER did an ultrasound and CT scan on my lungs and the ER doctor sat down and informed me that it’s recurrent cancer in both my lungs and bones. She saw cancer spots in my vertebrae. She confirmed that the ultrasound and CT did not show pneumonia or an embolism. She call my medical oncologist and discussed it and I have an appointment this upcoming Monday with Dr Cody to do more tests. HOWEVER, Dr Cody’s nurse said she showed the CT and ultrasound to her radiologist and said it’s definitely suspicious in the spine but he didn’t agree with the lung cancer diagnosis. Said it looked like fluid or pleural effusions and they put me on a diuretic for 5 days and want to retest things. 

In the meantime, some dear friends whom I won’t name, called and said that they’re donors to The James Cancer Center in Columbus, OH and would I be interested in getting a second opinion if he could arrange it? Of course I said yes as second opinions are always a great idea! With in 24 hours The James called and got me registered to be seen!

This afternoon I cried because I was laying down to nap and realized I could take a full breath in for the first time in 3 weeks!! Never have I appreciated breathing so much!

My hope is in Jesus! My healer and comforter. God brings people into our lives for different reasons and I have literally an ARMY of praying friends. Whether it’s my cherished family, beloved friends, faithful coworkers or my sacred mountain biking ladies group, I am not alone. I have people I’ve never even met praying over me! It’s an amazing and holy experience to realize how much love people have for me and offer whatever I need. My mother and one of my sisters immediately got in a car and drove 7 hours to be with me that very night!


My kids have been so sweet in loving and grieving this shocking news with me. Even my former spouse lovingly offered to buy my Asea to help with my healing! My sweet boss, Nicole, offered to forgo work and take me to my doctors appointments if needed! There are countless acts of kindness from so many that I could go on and on. God’s so good to me. 

Now I approach His throne and ask for healing and watch His miracle after miracle unfold! To God be all the glory!


No comments: