Blog Archive

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Day 20 Morning Thoughts

I wanted to share three quotes that friends have said about me  or to me  this week that have been very touching, encouraging, and helpful.

Reese Binder, my sweet, gentle young friend who recently released her own blog on her healing journey through grieving and anxiety:
(in referring to me) "One of my other dear friends, a kind of spiritual mother to me was diagnosed with breast cancer..."

Arun Lai, my Ghandi-like friend & financial advisor:
"Joy shared is doubled, Sorrow shared is halved."

Liz Pieniasek, my sister-like friend who recently lost her husband:
"The sadness hits in waves like contractions in childbirth. It's best to just ride the wave and not fight it because you know that eventually, it will come to an end."

I am so blessed to have so many  people  come alongside me in  prayer, offer comfort, and  are willing to help any way  I need.    I am convinced I am doing so well because all of you are praying. I can't thank you enough! Every day I collect more prayer warriors...Genine F. and  Pie's/Pints Callie...thank you for your hugs and love yesterday.  It was very good to see your faces and feel your embrace.

Also, on a  medical note, I remembered I have a patient whom is a radiation oncologist that I have been treating for a few years as his hygienist. I took the liberty to call him last night and shared with him all that has been going on. He gave me some excellent advice and confirmed my choices in doctors. He said that Dr. Manders would be the breast surgeon he would have his own wife see if she had breast cancer. He also personally knows Dr. Cody and said he is one of the top medical oncologists in Cincinnati. Then he suggested I have a very specific conversation with my oncologist about the drugs they may choose if I need chemo because one of the common drugs, Taxol, may cause permanent loss of sensation in finger tips and toes.  Since I'm a hygienist, that could mean loss of my career! He obviously was very sorry to hear that I was going through this and said, "It's a long journey, but you can get through it." He also totally sympathized with my loss of vacations this year into the wilderness, as he is an avid outdoor/wilderness lover as well. He suggested I consider a 'tamer' vacation this year so I could be closer to a medical facility should I need one.

I started thinking...maybe I could have my chemo medications sent with me and just take them on my trip to Jackson, Wyoming and deal with a day of yuck, but at least I'd be in the mountains with friends but close to a hospital, should I need one! Who knows, maybe, if a miracle happens, I could still even be released to go to Quetico, but instead of staying in the wilderness, I could stay at Zup's Outfitters Lodge, which is only an hour or so from a medical facility via float plane?  I'm not giving up until I have to!


No comments: