Blog Archive

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Day 69 Giving Thanks on Day 8 After Chemo Round #2

The first experience I had with chemo on June 20th led me to believe that I would be feeling really great after about 4 days post the injections. The second experience I had with chemo on July 5th led me to believe that people who say there is an accumulative effect with each dosing, know much more than me. It wasn't until yesterday, Day 8, after my second dose that I had an almost normal day. So, for that I am very thankful. Days when you don't think about all the side effects around the clock are days to be very, very thankful for.

On thing I would say I am more aware of with chemo is my forgetfulness. Typically, I am able to juggle many tasks at once, remember what I am supposed to do throughout the day, and like a pit bull, accomplish much in a day. Nowadays, I will remember that I was going to do something several days later or pull thoughts together enough after several days to finish a task because my brain literally did not think it through all the way. Thankfully, it doesn't upset me, but it does make me wonder what I'm missing as far as bills to be paid, or details that need my attention.

Yesterday I felt well enough to drive 7 minutes down the road by myself to the grocery store to pick up food for dinner guests and to get my new anti-nausea medication, Phenergan. Hopefully, next week when I need it after my chemo #3, it will not make me feel so awful! It was a huge success for me to feel comfortable enough to drive, even if only for 7 minutes. I am very thankful for that.

I got to talk to my cousin, Lara Richardson, for a good hour and it was really nice catching up with her for the first time since all this crazy cancer happened to take over my life. And, last night, we had the parents of one of our Special Olympics athletes over for dinner. I am so thankful I felt so well. Teri, the mom of this athlete lost her first husband 21 years ago to cancer and I think she was shocked at how well I looked and felt compared to what he experienced. Good thing she came yesterday and not last week!

Two more thoughts before I close: One, I need to get my week organized for after my next chemo this upcoming Monday. I now realize how valuable it is to have someone hang at the house with me while John is working. Granted, I sleep most of the time, but in between napping, I could use a  visitor to get my meds, make me a bottle of lemon water, or pour me some applesauce, etc. My Monday is cared for, but Tuesday-Friday has some openings for visitors. Granted, I'm not talking about really us visiting, but more like you bring a book and relax while I get through the chemo drug side effects. I need people who are patient, quiet, and healthy. I don't have a tv and I will be pretty worthless to talk to. But if you have a few hours here or there, please let me know so I can get a schedule going.

Lastly, I will be calling an ENT today to look at my throat. Ever since the beginning of my breast cancer diagnosis, I noticed a tightness or burning sensation on my neck/back of my throat. At first, I thought it was neurological just from the stress of the cancer diagnosis. I experienced this sensation anywhere from 1-6 times a day and it lasted for only a few seconds. But last night I was aware that that sensation, while not sharp and debilitating, was noticeable for much longer stretches and did not seem to go away. I have an appointment scheduled for next Wednesday, but just this morning at 4 a.m. I woke up and realized that that is only 2 days after my next chemo and I will be in no condition to leave my house and see a doctor then! I will call today and pray they will get me in sooner...like today! My fear is that it's more cancer. If this tightness continues, it could block my airway.

Your prayers are coveted. I am most thankful for each person who utters a prayer to my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!


No comments: