Blog Archive

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Day 79 Still Laying Low and A Quick Visit To The ER

We are still very low key here. Most of yesterday and today my energy is quite low so I nap a lot & eat every 2-3 hours to keep from feeling nauseated.  We sat around and talked with Burr and Linda as our main activity. I was a bit more tired than I imagined, but at least I don't have a headache and I actually feel decent.

Unfortunately, we had a little scare yesterday afternoon that landed me in the emergency room for 2 hours but according to the blood work they drew, I am actually ok. Here is where having cancer gets gross but as I've said before, it is my reality. Read on if you want but it's a gross thing that happened.

So cancer tends to cause GI changes in most people as it kills the fast dividing cells. For me, thankfully, I have not experienced vomiting that many do. I, however, have struggled with needing to go to the bathroom 3-5 times a day! This gets a little rough on one's bottom for a few reasons and I've come to realize that my new normal means there will be a little blood present when I wipe clean. I remember asking the oncology nurse if it was a problem and she assured my that so long as it is on the paper only and not in the toilet, it's not a concern. Well, yesterday I had a huge scare when I looked in the toilet and it was bright red in the entire bowl! I called my doctor's office immediately in Cincinnati and they said I needed to get to the emergency room because my platelets could be dangerously low and I could be in trouble if I didn't have it checked.

So the adventure of our day now included going to the Jackson, WY emergency room. Thankfully, they said my platelets were stable and it didn't concern them so long as it didn't persist and I didn't lose more than 1 cup of blood. Not that I'm sitting there measuring, but I think it was much less than that. So I was released and we carried on as planned.

As we were sitting around the campfire at their house right next to the Snake River and gazing at the billions of stars as we recited poetry and told stories, I was very thankful we were here. It was a good night.

Today John and I enjoyed their hot tub at 6 am and I've been pretty tired all day. We all did a bible study together instead of going to their church. I'm much better off not being around crowds.

John just left to purchase a fishing license and I woke from another nap. I really hope my energy is better by Monday or Tuesday so we can play a little while we are here. But at least I can rest while seeing the mountains and river and stars and being in the company of dear friends.

No comments: