Blog Archive

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Day 71 Friends, Dates, and The Final Shaving...Oh! And it gets a little R rated for those of you who embarrass easily.

Friday was a day that I was showered with love from two dear friends, Sara Godbey and Michaelah Sargent. These ladies drove all the way here with the most delicious fresh salmon lunceon anyone (other than my hubby) has ever made for me! I also got to try fried plantain and loved it! We had a lovely few hours talking about everything from food to Primal Pit Paste to cancer. I was so honored that they gave me their time and I especially am thankful to Sara who gave me some of her spoons. If you don't understand the analogy, then read this article: http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

I also went on a date night with my amazing husband to a newly renovated theatre in Miamisburg, OH. I decided to wear my wig for the first time and it was actually odd seeing myself with hair at first, but I got used to it quickly. It  itched only a little and more than anything, was funny when I realized my part was off a little. So instead of combing one's hair to fix it, I just pulled my whole wig over so it looked right. It's really funny and weird, I admit. Thankfully, John honestly does not care if I wear a wig, a turban or just go natural, aka, fuzzy bald. I just kept saying all night how it feels so good to feel good!

Then this morning, I woke up and realized that while most of my hair has fallen out, there was still lots of stubbly, prickly hairs still attached to my scalp and it dragged on my pillow and itched. So, I decided to do a final shave job! Ever since my chemo, my hair has not grown at all. My realization that it's not going to grow, but hasn't all fallen out made me think that if I did one final shaving with a razor, everywhere, it would all feel smooth and stay that way! Sweet! So, I lathered up and took it all off. Not sure when I'll lose my eyebrows and eyelashes, but they are still intact for now. I actually don't mind my head bald! I think I could get used to this. In my vain opinion, the trick to looking and feeling good when a woman is bald is dangle earrings and a little make-up, plus a nicely shaped head helps!

John and I started our morning out the best way two married people who are in love and thankful they are alive and feeling well, can.  I do not take for granted feeling well enough to want to make love and I am not ashamed to say on my blog that we did! Why would I even say that? Let me explain for those of you who question why it's necessary for me to talk about sex on a blog.  When we first talked to my oncologist before I had any chemo, I asked him if having chemo meant we could not be intimate for 5 months! He told me that I could if I felt like it, but that I would probably NEVER feel like it. Take that and dwell on it for a minute. Newly married, madly in love and bam! I'm told cancer will remove my desire and ability to have sex for half a year. Well, I'm here to encourage everyone that is married, whether you have cancer or not...If you feel well enough to make wild, passionate love to your spouse, by all means DO IT! Because you never know when you will lose that precious opportunity due to illness, divorce, or death. Like I said, I do not take for granted feeling good and appreciate those moments when I do.



No comments: