Blog Archive

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Day 40 An Easy Day, A Day Full of Love and Support Beyond My Imagination

Today is the 40th day I have blogged since my diagnosis. It made me pause and think of the meaning of 40 in the Bible. Here is what I found:

The Meaning of Numbers: The Number 40

Mentioning 146 times in Scripture, the number 40 generally symbolizes a period of testing, trial or probation.

Well, that seems appropriate.

I started my day talking to my sweet friend, Liz, then showering with Hibiclens, the surgical antibacterial soap that was prescribed to me for today's procedure.  I never realized my showering would be part of surgery preparation.

Then Tiffany Acuff, a Red Doorian friend, kindly and sacrifically picked me up from Hamilton (about a 45 min drive) with her 3 young kids in tow, and drove me an hour down to Christ Hospital in Cincinnati. I got to get to know her a little better between all my texts and phone calls. It's amazing to me how people who have so much on their own plate and struggle with ample health issues of their own, can be so willing and selfless to want to reach out and help others, in fact, she looked forward to it. That's such a testimony of Our Father and how He loves us and give us such grace and how she reflected Him. Thank you!

I quickly got in to the treatment room, got my IV, blood work, and stats, then was rolled into the surgical room with a doctor I had never met before, Eugene Paik. Evidently he is very well liked around there as I heard nothing but great things from all the admin and nurses. I was not one ounce nervous being there, getting the procedure done, going under anesthetic, or while in recovery. It was so easy! I even cut it up and had a great attitude in chatting with the nurses.

My friend, Susan Muterspaw, then drove an hour from Lebanon and hung out with me for 4 hours in recovery, in the echocardiogram, and then we went to Findlay Market afterward for a little food shopping. I was able to treat her to a 'life-changing' waffle from Taste of Belgium.

I did get a little tired and maybe even woozy on the drive home because it was 5 p.m. and all I had eaten so far was one apple and a bottle of water.  But after dinner, I was great.

To top off my evening, I had a very special visitor that I have waited weeks to see and hug and share with. This kindred-spirit friend worked with me for a short time, but made an impact on my life that will last forever. We even had a  celestial show as she was leaving with God's promise of a spectacular rainbow.  We ate delicious food cooked by my amazing hubby, caught up on our families, jobs, and we even took a virtual trip to Quetico as I shared with her my photos and videos of my favorite place on earth. It was so nice not thinking about my new port and the bandage and tenderness that is now planted into my flesh all because Holly B was with me for a few hours. Good for my soul.

As for the bandage over my new port, the nurse must have put the bandage on when my neck was leaning down a little because when I try to lift my neck, it pulls and is uncomfortable. I can change it tomorrow according to the nurse. I am a little tender, but not anything unexpected.

I was thankful that God has given me a new mission field of people to talk about His goodness with. I would never have met all these people if I were not going through this trial. God is so adventurous and I'm trusting Him with it all.

My step daughter, Kasey, sweetly gave me a gift bag full of items that are so thoughtful: a soft blankey, green tea with ginger for nauseousness, a glass water bottle, and two lovely scarves for future head dressing! So over the top, Kasey...It meant the world to me!

So many texts and calls today, friends. I feel extremely loved and cherished by you all.

So as stated in the beginning of my blog, as much as Day 40 could mean the beginning of a trial, I see it as a trial that is so full of overwhelming and encompassing love, that I hardly noticed the trial part of it.

My prayer request for tonight is that this port will adjust to my body and no infection will ensue. I pray I will sleep comfortably and rest well tomorrow before I visit Rockford to see my family this upcoming weekend.

Colossians 3:15, 17
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. 

And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

No comments: