Blog Archive

Sunday, September 4, 2022

Peoria Pit Stop

Up early today and made it to Peoria, IL to visit more family before heading home on Monday. Hanging around more favorite cousins, Pam and Todd, who are about as close to feeling at at home as I can imagine. Thankful for the gift of so many cousins this weekend! 

Medically, there’s been an improvement in my metallic taste as of today, however, also today a new side effect started called neuropathy. It’s only on the bottoms of my feet so far and it has more of a tingling sensation than numbness or pain. But it’s started. 

Today is also the first day I will have had no steroids in my body since the last chemotherapy treatment a week ago Friday. So not sure if my tiredness is from that or from waking up at 3 am, or both? But today I took two naps.

I’ve also noticed skin breakdown especially inside my nose again where my skin cracks and scabs for about a week until the chemo slows down from breaking down my tissues. Also there’s the beginning of chemo diarrhea, which I expect to happen at least twice in the next few weeks. And the last side effect I’m aware of is the feeling of more hunger, even after eating. I seem to want to eat and it’s like my body knows it’s full but my brain still wants to eat! And sweets always sound the most delicious, especially dark gooey chocolate. I’ve behaved mostly well around sweets but it doesn’t mean my mind doesn’t crave it. 

However, I’m blessed that all these are very manageable for me. Hoping all the Imodium I’ll be taking tonight will slow down the diarrhea while driving home tomorrow. 

There are many precious miracles I got to experience today. The fact that I am well enough to have driven to northern Illinois by myself for the shower and spend sweet time with so many family members and dear friends this past week and weekend was such a treasure. Today I did loved every second of sitting and talking with Pam and Todd. And tonight I was able to FaceTime with my husband who is in Wyoming for work and called me to watch the sunset over the Tetons tougher! 



The start of watching the sunset. 

Time to call it a day as the sun slipped behind the mountains. 


No comments: